A carpet is usually defined as a covering of floor with a textile base, consisting of an upper layer of pile attached to a back portion. The pile was traditionally made from wool, but in the late 20’s synthetic materials came into use. Synthetic materials include- nylon, polyester, polypropylene etc.
Why carpet cleaning is necessary?
Carpets are meant to add beauty and style to your house. You can choose from thousands of carpets styles and colors available. Several recent studies have also shown that people with asthma and allergy problems have recognized notable improvements in their health with the use of carpets and rugs. This is because carpets are known to improve the indoor air quality as they act as a passive air filter and trap dust, dirt, pollen and other particles as well.
Though carpets come with various advantages but when they get dirty after months of use, then they can lead to many problems as well. They can contaminate the environment of your house with the minute dirt, dust and particles over them. This in turn effects the health of the house members mainly infants. Mold, fungi, toxins, mildews bacteria are a few health hazards that are usually held by the carpet tissue and rugs. It also leads to untidy house, unpleasant odor and above all, reduction in life of carpet also.
How to clean carpet and rugs at home?
- You should clean it with a vacuum at least once in a month. Flip it upside down to clean the back side of the rug as well.
- Rotate the rug to even out wear and tear. You should turn your rugs every month to avoid uneven wear. If you have kept furniture on the carpet, move them regularly in order to avoid accumulation of dust and dirt under and around it.
- You can steam clean carpet with a shampoo once in a month. This absolutely cleans it up.
- Sometimes steam cleaning and shampooing are ineffective at controlling insects. To clean them, sprinkle borax on the rug to remove any insect infestation. Borax naturally coats and degrades the exoskeletons of insects and destroys larvae and eggs also.
- Clean all the spots and stains as soon as they appear with a shampoo or a spot cleaner. Shampoo or soap residues can also attract dirt, so make sure to rinse them properly.
- Try to blot the spillage using a white 100% cotton dry towel and remove any solid debris by scraping.
- More complicated and or serious stains require chemical interventions. You can use mild acids or a little detergent to remove any debris and disinfectants.
- Expose as much of the affected area as possible to the air stream to aid in evaporating moisture.
- Normal dust and dirt for the carpets as well as rugs can be cleaned by beating the carpets with a rug beater or a vacuum cleaner.
So, next time you stain your carpet or rug accidentally, just follow the above mentioned easy steps and get rid of it easily. This ensures good health of your family as well.